Monitoring visits offer volunteers a great way to contribute time and energy to the Land Trust and its mission, while letting them see some of the island’s most important natural areas. Trained Lead Stewards help fulfill our responsibility of maintaining a property’s conservation values. If you’re interested in becoming more involved, contact us.
We are required to conduct baseline and annual monitoring of all our Land Trust owned properties and conservation easement properties. Monitoring, performed annually, is integral to our program’s mission and it:
- helps us understand and monitor habitat dynamics or changes in a property’s natural systems
- assists the Land Trust in meeting its obligation to steward our conservation lands in perpetuity
- provides an annual connection with conservation easement landowners
- ensures compliance with conservation easement restrictions
- identifies areas of progress or concern for future work