Bainbridge Island Land Trust is committed to helping our island Go Native! Each year we host our Annual Native Plant Sale, we serve as an ongoing link between landowners and noxious weed and native plant information, and work with Weed Warriors to help remove invasive plants on the island.
Here are some great links to information:
- BILT Native Plant Sale Select from dozens of native plants you can use in landscaping and restoration projects from our new Native Plant Sale website. We will hold our next sale April 2015. Check back for more details next winter.
- Gardening with Native Plants - our handout from our "Why Native Plants?" 2009 workshop. This includes a handy list of native plants, the type of growing environment they need, and it also lists some of the native plants we typically offer at our Annual Native Plant Sale
- Washington Native Plant Society
- Kitsap County Noxious Weed Program
- Kitsap County Noxious Weed List
- Weed Warriors weed pulls - see our calendar for currently scheduled weed pulls.
- Plan Your Garden for Wildlife
Our cool, moist springs are the perfect time to add natives to your garden or to restore native areas recently cleared of invasive plants. Remember to pay attention to the preparation of your soil–-natives seem to do well with some humus, fine bark or even a bit of compost mixed in if the parent soil is sandy or lacking in nutrients. Planting on a mild, misty day, or the day before a good spring rain, will help settle in your new plants. Enjoy the process and look forward to well adapted plants that will not be too water-demanding beyond rainfall season.